PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Do The Admin Branch Stand In Our Way?
Old 10th Jan 2006, 21:23
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
Re: Why Do The Admin Branch Stand In Our Way?

Beggar that 'use MT' thing! Unless, that is, MT is better these days than it used to be...

I once had to go from Brize to FRL at Wimborne. Told I had to use MT and was given a bright yellow Chevette estate with a collapsed drivers seat which wouldn't do more than 50 mph flat out. To cap it all, the radio had been removed 'to avoid driver distraction'....

Then there was a trip to Northwood. Allocated vehicle was an aged Mini - with no rear view mirror. "It's on order....". Asked for another, "You'll have to fill it up, sir". An hour after leaving home to collect the wretched Mini, I was driving past it again 2 fields away on the A40...

Fought like a tiger against having to use MT ever since. But when I had to go to Farnborough for a JTIDS session, when I submitted my claim (for the lower rate - Official Rate was out of the question), the beggars had knocked off 7 miles (I think) each way as my 'personal contribution'..
"But I don't claim home to duty - it isn't worth it for 8.5 miles"
"It's the rule, sir"
"Now look - I live east of Brize. The Farnborough side of Brize. I went nowhere near Brize today!"
"It's the rule, sir"
"But what if I'd said I'd driven to Brize, then retraced my steps, driven back past my house and continued to Farnborough, then the same thing coming back?"
"Ah - that would be different, sir. We'd have paid the whole journey as it wouldn't have involved home to duty"
"But that's daft!"
"It's the rule, sir"
"So, if I'd lied you would have paid me for 17 miles more than I actually drove, but by being honest you'll pay me for 14 miles less than I actually drove?"
"It's the rule, sir"

Nowadays, as mere civilian filth, if I use my car for business, I just bill them for €0.30 per km (about £0.32 per mile) at the end of the month. No proof needed, it's all based on trust and being treated as a grown up.

Last edited by BEagle; 10th Jan 2006 at 21:58.