PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Do The Admin Branch Stand In Our Way?
Old 10th Jan 2006, 21:07
SirToppamHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Why Do The Admin Branch Stand In Our Way?

Ah yes, the old 'Insurance' get out. Social Domestic and Pleasure normally covers travel to and from place of work but presumably not for the sort of journey you are planning. However, in practice, this is very difficult to establish. I asked my current insurance to explain what exactly was covered (I sometimes use my own vehicle for UK dets as it allows me far more freedom to get around the local area). The chap I spoke to explained that the way they looked at it was that if you chose to take your own vehicle it was covered. However, if you were 'required' to take your vehicle then it was not. I presume that ODR is claimable for the second type of journey, but have to say I have always thought there was too much 'interpretation' by the bosses for my liking.

Back to the rates, as at 1 Aug 05 the rate for MPs was 40p per mile for the first 10,000 miles (per year) and 25p per mile thereafter. This is the same as the ODR. The current PTR is 26.2 p per mile. The favourite trick at my last 2 units (don't know about my current one) was to allow 'costs within rail'. This allows you to take your own car (with the added benefits derived for you AND the Service) but only claim the PTR up to the rail fair.

I am sorry to admit that faced with such petty mindedness in the past I have refused to drive MT just to prove the point.

I accept it's public money and shouldn't be wasted, but I think sometimes we forget the value of our people's good will.