PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 206 Crash into Dam West of Ipswich
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2006, 20:23
hair of the dogma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 206 Crash into Dam West of Ipswich

I think you are coming out a bit harshly LHRT.
You say you are getting paid above award, what award? It is illegal for you to be paid for skydiving ops.
If skydiving was not a private operation at least the law would not be on the side of unscrupulous operators, and that can only improve pilots chances of being paid well in this industry. By the way I do get paid always have but it is pretty miserable all the same.
Tandem passengers(notice not tandem students) are members of the public who deserve the same safety standards as charter passengers end of story.
Have your tandem passengers ever had it explained to them that their aircraft can be operated in private catergory and as such the only maintenence required by law is an annual inspection, and that 100hourly etc are only reccomended?
Why should dz operators get an easy run by CASA. And can you tell me how the APF can self regulate with so much vested interest, look at the area reps, all dz owners in qld at least. Very clear conflict of interest. Tandem wind limits went from 20 to 25 kts, gear did not improve, skills did not improve but it was a chance for operators to make some money.
Can anyone tell me the last time jump pilots were penalised by CASA or the APF? Pretty common knowledge that we go through clouds, what about woolongong when tandems dropped through cloud and kms out to sea?
I worked at one of the busier dzs in country and never saw a CASA inspector or nor did any of my colleagues? And as for APF audit does a skydiver really know how to read MR and do weight and balances?(skydiving pilots excepted)
LHRT if you are getting paid well hats off to you but if more operators were like your boss perhaps pilots would hang around in industry a bit longer and overall skill levels would improve especially at the smaller non-turbine dzs.
end of rant not really directed at anyone but anyone that is defending system as it stands is more than welcome to answers some or all of my questions.