PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet rugby scrum, not EZYs fault
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2006, 16:33
bmibaby.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Easyjet rugby scrum, not EZYs fault

I don't think that the difference between allocated & non-allocated seating is huge from an operational point of view, but I'd tend to agree that there is more benefit to a low-cost airline to having the latter model for their boarding process. Besides ensuring pax arrive at the gate ontime, meaning you don't have to chase people up, meaning there is less chance of having to fish out people's bags because they're having one last drink & also meaning you can encourage people to move further down the aircraft if you are boarding via an airbridge, because people don't need to sit in specific places therefore they are not blocking the aisles near the front whilst they stown their carry-ons.

However, it is not all about operational procedures. I stand by the notion that whilst the low fare will bring you onboard the aircraft, it is the service you recieve that will bring you back. Feeling safe in the knowledge you have an assigned seat relieves those travelling with children, or those who have other things on their mind such as business people, of a lot of unneeded stress. There is no angry outbursts from pax or a "rugby scrum" environment in cramped gate areas. Also economically, the airline can also make additional revenue by charging for an assigned seat when booking online.

Whilst I agree that open seating may save 5 minutes on a turnaround, printing a seat number on a boarding card provides a happier group of pax. At EMA bmibaby & easyJet used to fly to ALC at the same time (0955.) which I would occasionally observe when I flew out to Spain. Invariably, the baby staff had a much more relaxed & less-rushed demeanour with the pax, who lingered in the gate area, but did not have to stand or "hover" around the podium whilst the CSAs did their job & assisted those needing help. This is far removed from the Servisair staff at the next gate who seemed to be rushed off their feet making constant boarding calls for the next batch of pax to board with frustrated faces from people standing in line for up to 15 mins anxious to get onboard. Invariably, the easyJet aircraft left the stand 3 or 4 minutes before the baby aircraft did, but I noticed far more smiles from the baby pax than the easy ones. ALC has now been retimed by easyJet, but it was interesting how many pax commented once onboard about how much better the bmibaby system was. It's an excellent marketing ploy to have that you have assigned seating, and lots of people prefer it. I'd be interested to know from CSAs which they prefer. Lite & bmibabyfc seem to have very differing views!