PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A/C off the runway in CPH
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2006, 19:31
freddyfokker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: A/C off the runway in CPH

I work for a large european operator.

In our manual in the absence of reliable breaking action we have a clear guide in which we can assume braking action.

eg: dry runway, wet runway with otherwise good conditions = good
moderate heavy rain on clear runway or ice, snow on sanded runway = medium
all other = poor.

So if the braking action is unreliable and any other contaminents are within the aircraft performance i can land.

Why should an airport close just because ther is no blacktop. As hapened recently. they would not let anyone operate.

So when it is a dark night and there is a tiny bit of ice or snow lets say 2mm calm winds and braking action we will assume is poor, I should be at least be able to excerice my judgement within the guidelines of my opeartor and the aircraft manufacturer to decide whether to land or not. WE can land on braking action poor, under strict limits.

It is , in my view, unacceptabale for an airport to then close until blacktop is reached. This has the potential of undermining the entire flight planning process.

If uk airports are going to adopt this closure of airports until the can guarentee braking action good then please issue a warning to all operators world wide that a non uk diversion must be planned in winter ops. As only then may you be allowed to land.

This must get sorted.