View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 16:14
Empty Cruise

ECON cruise, LR cruise...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Re: A/C off the runway in CPH

alf5071h,

Originally Posted by alf5071h
The question to ask is not if the operation is legal, or if the crew will come out clean (which I doubt), it is whether each individual is satisfied with his or her performance.
While I agree on the definition of airmanship, being denied part of the data (the FC) does not exactly help in exercising that airmanship. Wouldn't it be much safer - airmanship-wise - to give the crew the FC (where available) and then let them decide for themselves?

Secondly, even the best airmanship only covers up to a 99,9% CEP - we all need to know where we stand when the last 0,1% strikes. 100% CEP is only achievable if you leave the aircraft on the ground & go home

If I'm told that FC is unreliable - and no pilot reports exist - we're out of there, end of story. My concern is the pure legality of using the existing aeroplane data, as processed & promulgated by my operator, based on unambigous FC values transmitted by ATC. These conditions are encountered by pilots all over the world every year - and we're all able to operate safely under these conditions.

So - leaving the airmanship aside (I doubt anybody here wants to disagree with any of the above posts on the airmanship issue) - we return to the legality aspect of things. If the operators maintain that their data is only advisory & that the use of this data is responsibility of the operator, and we use the data as issued by our operator - where do we stand legally?

Empty