PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAR Compliant PPL vs JAA PPL - Difference?
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 15:32
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: JAR Compliant PPL vs JAA PPL - Difference?

FAA requires a test every two years no matter how much experience you have. Tell me again why you think it's easier to maintain an FAA licence?
Ok,

The FAA does not require a test at all. Once you have passed the PPL check ride, you never need to fly with an examiner again, unless the FAA dictates you need to for some reason. The FAA requires a BFR every 2 years more or less, and that is all. A BFR is roughly translated to an hours ground school, and a 1 hour flight with an instructor. You need not have logged any time at all in the previous 2 years, if you were a natural.In fact, you need not fly for 10 years, then turn up, do a bit of practice, do the BFR and off you go.

If you maintain currency under JAR then you also do not need to fly with an examiner either but if you don't get that piece of paper signed by an examiner by the due date, thats it, you now require a "skills test". Orf if you don't meet the currency requirements.

Regarding ME currency - the same BFR will maintain your ME rating. It does not need to be tested annually, you do not need to complete any route sectors etc.

I agree the wording of "JAR Complient" is misleading in order to drum up business and I don't agree with it.