PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAR Compliant PPL vs JAA PPL - Difference?
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 07:06
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: JAR Compliant PPL vs JAA PPL - Difference?

Bearing in mind that you can fly in the UK under Day VFR conditions using an FAA PPL, my recommendation would be (if you really must go to the USA) to train for the plain vanilla FAA PPL, then build up to 100 hours in the US or UK before converting to a JAR-FCL PPL(A).
Ah ha, that old chestnut. There is no "Day" restriction on an FAA ticket.

And ask yourself why any school would 'voluntarily' stop JAR-FCL PPL training in the US...............
Cost. The CAA charges 000's if not 10's of 000's to "inspect" these schools and certify them, plus a jolly for the inspector who has to be flown to the USA (business class no doubt), put up in a hotel, and all expenses paid. So frankly I don't blame them.

Although I don't agree with the term "JAR Complient PPL" as it is a little misleading, what these schools do is offer the FAA PPL, but also the UK exams and RT exam are taken as well. So you are perfectly legal to fly in the UK, and it is a sinch to convert to a "full" PPL once you have the FAA PPL.

Although schools like these are not entitled to carry out an initial JAA PPL skills test by virtue of not being certified, they can carry out licence conversions. So, you guessed it, when you have the FAA PPL + exams, you could in theory do another flight test with the resident UK examiner, and you walk away with (well 2 months later) a full blown JAA PPL.

I have no connection by the way, though I have talked with these people about this subject, and to be honest it does seem a cost effective way of getting a ticket.