PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Succesor to the Navajo, Chieftain, Metro
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 00:33
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Succesor to the Navajo, Chieftain, Metro

Isn't the point with the PC12 and TBM 700 aircraft was that they were designed around the concept of long distance flights at FL type altitudes. Therefore, operating them on short sector flights makes them uneconomic.

A manager with the RFDS has told me that over long sectors their PC12 aircraft can be operated for the same cost as a PA31.

The problem with the C208 is that over long sectors it is slow. Where I fly there can be some very long days (over 7 hours in a B58 on several occassions) and the 30 knot difference between a C208 and piston light twins makes one hell of disadvantage. In addition I have heard from a C208 operator that temperatures in Central Australia have given the PT6 some cause for concern.

Despite that I really believe it is not too far into the future that the vast majority of the commercial piston powered GA fleet will no longer be viable. Already, if you follow the Aviation Trader, the prices of such aircraft is falling and the sales time is getting longer and longer.

Operators without the capital to re-equip with new aircraft will go out of business and those that think they will fund their retirements by selling their businesses and aircraft should find out where their nearest Centrelink office is so they can sign up for the pension.