PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - general Q's about life in the RAAF
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2002, 05:03
jprichar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fnb. .my thoughts on flying FJs:

5 hours flying a week can keep you pretty busy enough in the fast jet world depending on what you're doing when airborne.

I can't think of a better aviation job in the world than flying a FJ. No, not everyone makes it, but it's either you or the next bloke (no offence ladies, but give it your best shot). I've averaged at least one overseas deployment a year since my time in the FJ world, and many more dets around Oz in between. Going away with the boys to fly fighters is akin to an end of season footy trip, and yes, we still do fare very well against the western world's best. . .It's one of the few jobs you'll find in which everyone is there because they want to be - no one finds themselves "lumped with flying a fighter" and they've all worked hard with this job specifically in mind.

There are always things to whinge about, and I agree with Swingwing that the bull@#$% does flow to excess sometimes, but guess what - you leave the desk once a day to do something most guys would give 'their left one' to do.

If you decide to give it a go, my only advice is don't do it half heartedly - everyone else flying FJs in Oz thinks it is the best thing in the world, and have sacrificed a lot of time and energy for a lot of years to end up in the pointy end of a fast jet. Your instructors will want to know you are willing to do the same.. .Good Luck