PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEC's at EK
Thread: DEC's at EK
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 11:35
bushbolox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DEC's at EK

Having read throught this and many other Ek threads i would like to add a little.
Those guys that gave up their commands to got to EK took a risk which they evaluated. They sound like they are getting double crossed on what they were told.However if what they were told was not in writing then they were a little nieve to sign a contract and up sticks and move on the word of a stranger.You have my sympathy on the former , not the latter.

DEC are a fact of life in 90 percent of the industry. They come and go in my compay every year sometimes at the cost of a loyal f/o. Sometimes this is unfair , and sometimes the f/o is the only one who thinks he is ready. To not appreciate this fact adds to the possible nievety mentioned above.

As for the opinions that a dec can not operate as well as the f/os being shafted. Utter arrogance. The only reason they are i the right or left seat is career management and luck. I have never flown a 777. I do however have no problem operating my 738 all over the world under all types of conditions. I have a well respected authority licence, (not always the case with some icao recruits in ek).The alleged qualification that some guys espouse on here that allegedly leads them to babysit DEC is an aquired skill from route training/exposure, easily aquired by qualified pilots, not rocket science. (see next paragrph)

Some tossers may have slipped thru the net , that is an issue for your trianers, but I meet the entry requirements and if sucessful will apply the same professional attitude as I try to now. The only difference will be the bigger equipment and new sops.Going to tfs on t16 is domestic, going to newyork in an etops 738 is long haul, but its the same oceanic flight.Just longer. Landing at zth on a stormy dark autumn nighttired and stressed on a wet runway is shorthaul, doing the same sort of thing at nairobi is longhaul but the skills are the same.The eight or more hrs getting there are not hard to learn.Its the same job the differences are what line traing are for, and professional colleagues.
I was offered an f/o positon 2.5 years ago at Ek but made a difficult decision not to join. It seems that in this case it was cynicism on a good day and a bit of luck.

To summarise, its EK that have shafted the f/os not the DECs . Would you not apply in the same position?( save me the solidarity b.s.). If you get command at EK on say the bus. Would you join a new airline as an f'o if they offered you the left seat of a 380 in 5 years time.

I have been an expat for years . clearly some guys that joined ek looking for a quick upgrade werent, or had other motivation to take such a risk by giving up a left seat to come under the control of someone whos proirity is to keep his kids in private school in uk and his his missus at the club.

Not my fault mate.