PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - general Q's about life in the RAAF
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2002, 12:30
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Franksnbeans,

Thanks mate, I'm trying not to get on the swill too much, but somehow the relaxed lifestyle I'm now leading is too conducive to it!

Jetage, from what I saw while I was instructing, some previous experience was helpful in the early stages, but when the course moved on to things that may not have been seen before (form, time on target low nav etc.), everyone was back on an even par again.. .Also, the services have fairly specific ways of doing things when it comes to flying - I don't mean no flexibility; but basic stuff, like what sort of a scan you should do whilst flying, how you should set, hold and trim an attitude, etc. etc.. .If you have developed habits that don't quite mesh with what's being taught, it can be a bit hard to 'unlearn'. Probably no big deal, but something to be aware of, and maybe a source of frustration for some.

The Army are mainly rotary, but also fly Twotters and King Airs, although I think everyone does a basic rotary course to start with (a bonus, I reckon!). . .The Navy sadly only have choppers since the Fleet Air Arm was decimated quite a few years ago now. Having said that, they have got some good machines.

Good luck.