PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ag accident just north of Moree
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2005, 08:48
Agwaggon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmm. I wonder if that really was the problem. I heard thatit wasn't overloaded and that it was a black night take off. The pilot thought that he was away and the next thing he new he was parked in a cotton crop facing where he had just come from!!
He might have been fully loaded but I don't think the answer would lay there persay.
Pilots first night season, probably under 50 hours night experience, dark night, full load, I mean why are pilots taking out full loads in there first few weeks on night spraying? especially on black ones.
Why arn't companys being pro active about saftey. This actually had a happy ending with the only damage being bent metal.
Not so about a year ago near Bourke I think it was.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the role of a Chief Pilot about overseeing these issues. I mean whats wrong with a chief saying something like, I don't want that pilot taking an more than 3/4 of what that aeroplane is capable of lifting for the first 100 hours etc.(Perhaps not exactly that but you get the gist of what I mean). I remember when I first started ag spreading super the boss must have told the loader driver how much was the maximum load he was to give me. (i didn't know this at the time) and no matter how many fingers I stuck up in his face during the course of the day the bloody load just didn'd change. Much to my frustration.
I accept that its horses for courses, However this guy is still a low time ag pilot with very little night spraying exp. I think money i.e. productivity, is being put ahead of safety here. I'm sick to death of chief pilots simply being figure heads. Whether they like the idea or not one of there PRIMARY responsibilities is of the safety of the pilots under them.