PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life after the Military
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2005, 20:09
Mama Mangrove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HEDP,

Forget any of the bitchy time-wasting comments stirring up the old civil versus military debate from the likes of ivor the driver. It's often just sour grapes from those who couldn't get into the military. A good pilot is a good pilot. How he got his qualifications is irrelevant once he's got a bit of civil experience. With your hours there could be many openings available at the moment, depending on whether you will have your ATPL, twin-turbine time and an instrument rating when you leave.

A lot depends on what branch of the military you're in. If you're in the Navy and have offshore experience you should soon be able to pick up something in the offshore world at the moment. There are many openings in Africa with the big two (OLOG/Bristow, and CHC) at the moment. If you've served overseas or have any military combat experience you might quite enjoy Nigeria . There are also vacancies in places like Sudan and some of the .....istan's at present. I had a most enjoyable end to my full-time flying career in Africa and as long as you're prepared to endure a few hardships and not afraid of a bit of danger occasionally you could well enjoy it. I had a wonderful time in the military and then as enjoyable a time in the civil flying world. The UK is safe, predictable, taxed and cold . Overseas is often warm, untaxed, and unpredictable. Take your choice - either are probably open to you in the next 12 months.

Mama