PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Willie Walsh's CC plans
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2005, 00:58
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Let me, as a mere pax, risk throwing a cat among the pigeons...

Recently, there was a fuel shortage in Cape Town for some 36 hours or sure, details in African Aviation forum. For the BA 744 non-stop CPT ~ LHR, this was a problem. However, a suitable refuelling point was available with only a slight diversion. Upington had fuel and a mighty long runway. Upington is in the Cape Province and, essentially, directly north from CPT. The a/c could have departed Cape Town, made a tech stop at Upington and got on home with a minimum of delay.

As I understand it, the BASSA agreement does not allow the CC to do this - although flight crew COULD. This meant that the a/c was stuck at CPT and passengers were not being flown and the schedules were disrupted, money was being lost and folks were getting very agitated.

Is this the case?
Does the CC contract prevent them making a tech stop and thus prevent the a/c getting home?
If so - then this must be only for a tech stop that is known about before departure?
If a tech stop becomes neccessary en route, will the CC then not complete the journey, thus forcing the a/c to be stuck at the intermediate point?

Please clarify the situation to me as I would not want to make any comment on what is, currently, second hand information.

I understand that the situation was rectified by the flight crew taking the machine to Upington to tank up and then returning to CPT for another night stop, to reset their Hours. Then they made the return to LHR in the normal single hop.