PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Scampton closing before it opens?
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2005, 19:58
tablet_eraser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSM,

Because most of the buildings have been abandoned to disrepair (derelict, a word first used by ZH875), many of them are outdated, unhealthy and full of asbestos (decrepit) and because we all know that the Stn's future is under review with other, less-expensive options being investigated (POSSIBLY doomed). I'm very sorry if this assessment, which was intended to point out an irony, has caused you such offence. I don't like the idea of the RAF shrinking any more than other PPRuNers, I just wonder whether Scampton is the right way ahead.

And yes, I have been there recently and I've seen it. Some of it is good, most of it needs an awful lot of work. The new CRC looks fantastic, and makes due reference to the history of the building; the married quarters I visited are modern and pleasant; the Officers' Mess, if it was to be restored, would be magnificent; the combined mess contains some excellent artwork and I'm sure it will have a good mess culture for as long as it remains. If the Service can afford to renovate the Stn, very well; but I don't think our priorities should lie in restoring a base when other bases, with existing infrastructure, are likely to need a role in the future.

Whatever happens, I agree that Scampton is important. If the MOD has no future use for it, I hope that whatever use it is put to maintains its dignity. We managed it with Farnborough, after all.

That's my serious, considered opinion. I'm all for constructive debate; some of my posts were a little abrasive, but I think we all post those every so often. I happen to think that BEags's post was atrocious, though, and couldn't let it go unanswered. He may have a problem with my posts, but that does not confer upon him the right to haughtily condemn all of my colleagues as "mere radar operators". I speak for myself, not for my colleagues.

Finally, FCs DO have a major part to play in air operations. If you're so keen to avoid anything other than FLYING units being based at Scampton, it's going to be a lonely, dysfunctional place. Especially considering the fact that the work-up was planned to house ASSUs. Not flying Sqns. What happened to the concept of teamwork?

JTD,

I stand corrected, and will amend previous posts to make that correction.

Last edited by tablet_eraser; 29th Dec 2005 at 20:19.