PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Westjet: No injuries when 737’s wing hits runway
Old 29th Dec 2005, 16:49
jumpy737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although it is still in the preliminary stage, I'm willing to bet the boys broke minimums, aka "shouldn't have been there doing that". I hear this is normal ops out west. It was reported that others were holding. Cowboys will be cowboys. This time, nobody got hurt. They brought along the horse shoe.
Always remember that the reason we have low energy go-around training in Canada is because of the RJ in YFC. Was that a cultural problem or a procedural one? While we could say it was a culture of arrogance that it happened, really we have all benefited from the incident in our own way. I hope that in my career I can learn from the mistakes of others all the while I realize that many could learn from my mistakes as well.

As far as the culture of busting minimums I think that we're way past that in Canada right now and maybe it makes you feel morally superior to believe that it still occurs. With SMS and FOQA WestJet is leading the way in using technology to prevent accidents and to get a true picture of what is happening on the line. Maybe you should ask why ACPA is preventing the full implementation of FOQA for fear of recrimination and punishment.