PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Scampton closing before it opens?
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2005, 21:21
BigginAgain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Beagle

I think you ought to go and have a lie-down old chap. The way things are going, the only buildings at Scampton that will not be falling down in ten years (even if they are unoccupied by then) will be those which are occupied by the 'ground-pounding scope-dope Ps-of-S' (I expected better of you) - including the one-time Airmens' Mess and Cinema/Dambusters Raid Briefing Room.

I am not sure what it is you think the people at English Heritage have done to preserve Scampton, but I am pretty sure sticking a load of 'Listed' labels on things is not enough on its own to deserve a round-of-applause. One of the main reasons the whole regen of Scampton has been put at risk (abandoned?) is because of the additional costs of doing things the EH way (agreed by our lords and masters), on top of a pretty uncared-for and unmaintained unit, and EH's outright refusal to allow some things to happen at all. These additional costs have been paid for by you and I out of the Defence Budget, probably at the expense of far more deserving causes.

It upsets me to see our Service shrinking in the way it has done and will continue to do, and I can never resist having a look at what is left of some of our old units, but simply fencing things off and praying that one day the magic infrastructure fairies will come back and restore things to their former glory does not achieve anything.

As far as signs are concerned, I don't think you ought to let a bit of banter raise your blood pressure so much!

Now I'll have to go and have a lie-down.

BA