PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Pilots
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2005, 10:48
Betelgeuse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relax,

I won’t respond to most of your reply because this thread’s not the time and place. But it doesn’t mean I concur. (I’m pleased to see your basic lack of knowledge about the dispute – it means you weren’t directly involved)

But since the title of the thread is “Australian Pilots”, I will comment on the last part of your reply.

“As for the 'weasels' Australian pilots appear to have become, my experience is that it's no different elsewhere in the world in piloting or any other profession.”
The point that so many of the older ones of us have been trying to make is that this situation didn’t exist when pilots in Australia were united. There were always individuals who, given the opportunity, would white ant their peers for personal advantage, but by adhering to established rules of conduct, the whole group was able to obtain fair conditions for all. That situation was destroyed in ’89, leaving everyone to fend for himself, or to compete for positions.

You and I don’t need the protection of a union now because we have the experience to get what we want. But what of the young guys looking to get into this business now? Without a united group they’re at the mercy of the present generation of managers who will certainly put themselves first. Don’t you think they’d be better off if they were all united?

“People will always put themselves first, and if they don't, then they are mugs because they'll sit on the sidelines watching everyone bypass them.”
One of the defining points of civilized behavior is that people do not always put themselves first. It’s why charities exist, and even why people give their time and effort to serve on unions and collectives.