PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Pilots
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2005, 03:29
relax737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Betelgeuse, I agree that a number of airlines involved in the 89 debacle have gone, but that had nothing to do with that event, other than AN used the opportunity to amalgamate East West and close or sell IPEC; I don't remember the details. Australian was bought by QF, and I don't remember the others if in fact there were any others.

You couldn't be even half serious suggesting that those three had anything to do with the brawl.

It is interesting to speculate what might have happened if the AFAP had won its 29+% for no trade offs, but I assure you the cost of pilots would have increased rather than decreased, as it did under the solution that evolved.

Certainly pilots earned twice what they were pre 89, but they worked more than twice as hard for that reward.

However, I have no desire to enter into yet another discourse on the results, advantages and disadvantages of the events of that year.

You seem to be happy where you are, and that is something of a change from several years ago when your posts were full of hatred and 'doing jobs' on pilots who didn't see issues your way. Congratulations on the change.

As for the 'weasels' Australian pilots appear to have become, my experience is that it's no different elsewhere in the world in piloting or any other profession. People will always put themselves first, and if they don't, then they are mugs because they'll sit on the sidelines watching everyone bypass them.

We in Australia only saw that a few years back, but it's existed everywhere else for years, a little like agencies. They have been involved in aviation, in force, for only a short while, but I can remember over forty years ago Drake personnel skimming it off office workers/execs.