PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rhetorical question about Airline Hiring
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2005, 20:29
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bafanguy

When I came home my IR was expired and I had to do it all over again from Instrument Written to the ME-IFR checkride. Even though I'd been current and valid on my foreign licence the entire time I was away our Transport people hadn't given me a checkride so my Cdn IR was invalid. So, we have our own ridiculous rules as well.

In the States a B737 Type Rating is a B737 Type Rating. In Canada, we have three different B737 TRs. What does that prove? About the only thing it proves with a 737 is that Analog and Digital are different. Different enough for three separate Ratings? Apparently.

As with most economics arguments, they rarely makes sense to the layman and most bean counters will shoot down most of our arguments any way.

Look at some of the overseas carriers that are hiring at present. About the only ones NOT concerned with your showing up Type Rated with 500 hr on type are the ones with their own Training Centers. Singapore, Cathay, Emirates, Gulf Air. The situation is changing and will continue to change. China Airlines have to park aircraft because they are short Pilots. That kind of economics will go on for only so long. Lost income will smarten these outfits up. But, you have to be patient. How patient depends on how close to retirement you are.

Next year the MPL gets into full swing. This will take a zero time pilot to 300 hours and a RHS Type Rating in a B737 or A320. This is what the airlines have been asking for and this is what the airlines will be getting. To get into the program you must be between 21 and 27. Pass the physical. Must have a University degree and successfully pass the airline 'screening' tests. Once you pass this screening criteria you get trained. By the time you are issued an MPL you will be right seat qualified in an airliner. The downside is you won't be able to rent a C172 because your MPL doesn't cover the type.

Once graduates of this program enter the market you can forget about your airline career because the cost of an MPL is estimated to be 85,000 Euros. When an airline spends that kind of money on a First Officer you can bet that F/O will be first in line and this will only serve to make finding a job even more difficult than it is at present becaue the airline will recruit, screen and train the number of pilots they require and not have to rely on the outside fluctuations of pilot supply. I'm not ready to argue the pros and cons of the MPL cause I'm not sure it's a good thing or a bad thing.

So, if you're flying for somebody now I'd think a person would be well advised to pretty much stay where he/she is cause it's only going to get tougher.