PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ba euro fleet lgw
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2005, 18:52
Floaty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been EF LHR for some time. When they recruited me, I mentioned LGW as preferential base, then was offered EF LHR as they had no training course for LGW in the immediate future. I accepted and still believe I did the right thing. It doesn't really matter which base you apply for as you can always change your mind when they offer you a training course. Don't let that put you down or delay your application.

Nothing wrong with EF LGW except the hard working hours (loads of doubles and not many nightstops). It is a much smaller base and you may fly very often with the same (great) people, however there are very serious talks involving unions and management: the LGW base will be turned into a mid-fleet one (possibly next year) because keeping separate fleets is not profitable.
Only downside: the money is not as much as LHR.

Last time I spoke to a BASSA rep, I understood WW LGW crew would be offered to return to LHR (as we are under the same agreement) or to stay in LGW under a different agreement (package yet to be specified £££).

On another note, several 'juniors' based in LHR have either volunteered to work temporarily in WW LGW but they will most likely return to LHR when the mid-fleet agreement takes place.

Those who joined EF LHR, then were told at the end of the training course that they would work in WW LGW instead, are on a SECONDMENT, which means they will return to EF LHR after SIX MONTHS operating away from base.

A PERMANENT transfer to WW LHR only takes place if you are currently working under the WW LGW or EF LHR agreement. The list opened last in october 2005 and calls are currently being made by seniority. People who joined before/in January 2004 are the ones being called at the moment. The decision to transfer (or not) has to be made within 48 hours from the call/crewlink message. I am not quite sure if at this stage it is still possible to transfer to WW LGW permanently.

A direct transfer from EF LGW to WW LGW or WW LHR is not possible. EF LGW crew have to transfer to EF LHR first, then put their name on the transfer list stated above. EF LGW lose their seniority when they transfer to EF LHR. Unfair? Absolutely but there you go!

You figure it out...

fj

Sorry, forgot to mention:

ID90 tickets for yourself and partner/spouse and ID80 for direct family + OneWorld tickets are ONLY available after 6 months service.

During those initial 6 months, you are entitled to purchase HOTLINE tickets (30-40% discount) before they go on sale on public BA site. It is a little more difficult as they are confirmed and not refundable, therefore you need to pick a flight and be there in time or you lose your seat/money!

Commuting is possible from any fleet and any base, as you have the possibility to bid for days off on short-haul and you will have 2-3 days off minimum after long-haul flights.

Ticketing machines for ID80/ID90 tickets are available in several locations and are easy to use. Open tickets are the best way to travel on short-haul: you print a few and use them whenever you want (within a year). They can be used on other airlines as well, yet some companies are a little fussy (Iberia for example). BMI and Virgin accept our standby tickets at face value.

Hope it helps.

fj