PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F15 pilots - world's best? - discuss.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2005, 11:21
Ewan Whosearmy

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Typical bolleaux from the BBC. WHen are they going to hire a defence reporter who knows how to qualify a story?

I don't think that there are many who would dispute that the Eurofighter should be kicking the butt of any F-15E (clearly though, the BBC does not know the difference between the F-15 Eagle and the F-15E Strike Eagle, the latter of which is not the 'undisputed king of air superiority', but is probably the undisputed king of putting iron on target).

Despite this being and old, old story, I'll give you a few quotes from a Strike Eagle mate (flying out of Lakenheath at the time) to add balance:

Best fighter in the world? I love my aircraft, but I don't even regard it as the best fighter in the world (not for WVR fights). This reporter is a sensationalist tool. If the Strike Eagles were visual I guarantee you that they had already locked on and fired. This occurred under a UK program called Fighting Edge which says that anyone squawking Mode 1-11 agrees to be targeted by any other aircraft - low level or medium altitude. Fighting Edge has training rules which are almost identical to 11-214 A/A training rules, one of which calls for limiting maneuvering (no more than 180 degrees of turn) for any Target of Opportunity attacks. By virtue of bragging (able to maneuver to the F-15E's six o'clock), the Brits have openly admitted to breaking Fighting Edge training rules. Not too smart.