PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Risky business . . .
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2005, 20:04
MyData
Fixed+Rotary (aircraft, not washing lines)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With regards mortgage life insurance - I mentioned it to the company I use. The (young sounding) call centre chap said 'No problem'. So I left it a couple of days and called back, this time got someone who went away to check. Still 'No problem'. I asked if they wanted something in writing from me - to confirm that I had told them - 'No, nothing required. You are covered'.

With regards PHI, life insurance at work: I stated I was a PPL student and that I had a CAA medical (Class II). Oh Lordy, this stirred up a whole lot of hassle. Now I need to go for more medical tests - which I *didn't* have to do before I told them I was learning to fly??? Go figure.

With regards to risk. Well, yes. It is something you and only you can make the decision on. My view is that this flying lark sharpens your senses, makes you a better person at assessing risks and really improves situational awareness. I've found that my driving habits are much more moderate since learning to fly. I just don't seem to take those risks that I would have previously.

And finally, with regards to skiing / flying / etc. on the CV. I'd put these in every time. If a company were to discriminate on those grounds it says much more about them than you. It demonstrates that you are outgoing and ready to learn new skills, that you are risk taker, but only when the risk is measured and you are in control. I've spent time both as an interviewer and interviewee, and also had 1-2-1 executive coaching. Key characteristics for roles I'm at in my organisation are the ability to be cool, calm and collected under pressure - can you demonstrate this? - Yes, when flying. You have to be able to demonstrate self assuredness and confidence (but not arrogance) - can you demonstrate this? - Yes, when flying. Can you demonstrate an ability to be free thinking, yet when it matters, to adhere to mandated processes and procedures? - Yes, when flying.

I'm not saying you answer all your interview questions with reference to flying ;-), but it can help you focus your answers. Skiiing has similar attributes - one wrong decision or loss of control could have catastrophic results for you.

Last edited by MyData; 22nd Dec 2005 at 20:17.