PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Risky business . . .
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2005, 17:56
Paris Dakar

Happy Wanderer,

If you enjoy your flying (and obviously you do), and you take care, do some planning, then hopefully you will make it as safe as it can be.

When an aircraft has an accident - it makes the news, fact.

A few weeks back a Cessna made a forced landing less than a mile away from my house (the pilot was unhurt) and the newspapers had a hay-day. Two days ago, the traffic at the end of my street came to a standstill due to a road traffic accident, sadly there was a fatality but nothing was reported in the papers or local news?

I do understand your concerns tho, I have two young daughters and the same thoughts have crossed my mind - what would happen to the family if something happened to me?

I try to fly as safely as I possibly can - I was checked out on a 172 last month and the instructor asked me if my pre-flight checks always took so long? 'Yep' was my reply 'and 'sometimes longer' I added.

You never know what is around the corner and waiting for you? My wife was diagnosed with cancer 4 years ago and is receiving ongoing treatment, her outlook on life has changed dramatically. She has gone from being someone who would never take a risk on anything - and I mean anything, to someone wants to grab the bull by the horns and stick two fingers up to anyone who doesn't agree with that view.

Do what you want to do - but be safe.

Good luck

PD