PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too old to [be paid to...] fly ??
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2005, 08:07
FlightOops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sad but true

Thank you all for your interesting replies - especially the statements about other countries rules although I have to say it doesn't add much to the debate.

From what I see, you are all as unclear about this "grey" area of the law in the UK, as I am (and the Campaign !!!).

Aesir and HeliNut
I have been told by the powers that be, that Pilot X is unable to fly aerial work for renumeration (aerial work being own ship, no pax, company crew member, i.e. photo work, aerial observation etc) as X is over 60 and therefore cannot exercise their CPL(H) - presumably X would be allowed to do it for FREE, however, other than some low time hour builder WHO in their right mind would incur huge expenses for the benefit of someone else's lovely photo of their house ???

HedsetHair and HeliNut
That was my understanding until I was told otherwise - from what the Campaign are saying:
- CPL single pilot = NOT OVER 60 (understood - no problem)
- CPL aerial work over 60 = NOT ALLOWED due to renumeration as it is therefore commercial work
- FI(H) over 60 = ALLOWED and renumeration ALLOWED ?

So WHY can a 60+ FI(H) be paid to fly with a student ? If the same 60+ cannot be paid to fly their own aircraft, with a company crew member to take photos ?????

Methinks the law is an Ass m'lud !! That or the understanding of the law is conducted by Asses.

I believe that if you asked every pilot in the UK to look at this problem, you'd have a multitude of differing answers ... so why does the regulator insist on considering the amendment of rules about private over water flights in R22 needing floats whilst gaping chasm's of misunderstanding exist over something as [sic] simple as What is PT, Aerial Work or Private Cat flying !!!

Sheesh - only in aviation ! No wonder pilots have brains the size of planets (and cojones to match - sorry ladies, you qualify also) !!!

Its always better to be pi$$ed off than pi$$ed on !

FO