PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are people leaving in droves ?
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2005, 11:04
GoodView

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting back on topic also:

It's quite simple, peolple leave the RAF if they perceive an alternative will provide a better quality of life.

Most pilots realise the airforce provides the best flying. They also soon discover it does not provide the best lifestyle. They certainly find out that having a family and remaining on the front line are not particuarly compatible.

When the airlines recruit RAF pilots are given choice. Peolple are leaving in droves because the airforce can't compete with the alternative employers. The ONLY two areas the RAF beats an airline are quality of flying and the pension. However, eating your lunch and tucking into the cheese board whilst gazing at the Alps is not such a bad thing, and the pension, well, it will just cost you a little more to retire on the same amount. BUT, why not have an enjoyable 30s and 40s than wish them away?

For what it's worth, I left earlier this year. I didn't even complete my 6 years return of service. When I asked to get out quickly they were over manned and were keen to let me go! I was at the front of the stampede......

Life on the other side is a huge improvement. I go to work, fly an aeroplane, come home and see my family........ I live in a house, and won't have to move every 3 years. I get discount travel, private health insurance and I don't do aircraft doc ammendments. I am not surrounded by **** licking individuals organising this and that for selfish reasons. I feel as if I have left childish politics and entered the real world.

The RAF is a fantastic place. There are scores of decent hard-working people and opportunities and experiences simply not available in the civilian world. It is spoilt by a handful of selfish individuals and an inability to make service life even remotely intune with modern family living.

Push and pull factors:
At the moment:
BIG PUSH + BIG PULL = LEAVING IN DROVES!