PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Service Director Pay
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2005, 09:23
ian_harrington

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the role of PSM is well thought out. I am a firm believer that the overall SCCM needs to have a hands on approach to the service, otherwise how else can they guide and improve it if they are not actively participating.

I do feel that not assigning them to a particular role in the service is good. This means that the PSM can carry out the PR part onboard and also hop on a trolley in any of the cabins to see how the service is going and to monitor performance of colleagues too.

The PSM must have an allocated safety station, true. However the benefit of not assigning the PSM to a service position means the service is not hampered if he/she is required to visit the flight deck, or to fix the IFE, or deal with negative comments from pax etc. The list is endless.

The above does not mean that the PSM can hide in the corner and just do paperwork. PSM’s should be looked up to by the other crew. Therefore an example should be set by the onboard manager. The more they get involved in the service and the crew welfare, the more respect and motivation will be secreted by the crew. Thus giving a polished and professional service.

To summarize. Yes, get them involved in the service and have them in all cabins. It looks nice too for an economy pax to see the PSM. I have noticed it before that the overall SCCM does not make it to the back of the aircraft apart from to make their way to the bunks. It looks bad. The economy pax may have paid less. It does not mean to say they should not be treated differently. If the PSM spends time in economy for parts of the service along with doing the PR. Who knows, maybe next time the pax travel with the company they may wish to experience the benefits of the next category of cabin ?

In response to the idea on filtering CC thorough for FO sponsorship. Great! Lots of people that I have come across have loved working a crew but wanted to challenge themselves more. However, the opportunities were not always there. Good way of keeping staff too. It is hard to keep employees loyal so if this is the way to offer a progression and self development. Great!

The final comment is “…please send me an application form for the CC roles…””