PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finally A Military "Shield Of Steel" To Keep Out Illegals.
Old 2nd Sep 2001, 13:38
Sheep Guts
Props are for boats!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Military will benefit greatly from this task. But I THINK it will only be a short term operation, as the government has indicated. If the government is ordering more patrol boats etc. thats a good change.
Its funny how we need international crisis, to promote pumping up our defences. The old wheel is reinvented constantly. When I joined the R.A.A.F. in 1987 there were 23,000 personnel approx. and when I disharged in 1996 16,500 approx was the total. I believe now this has increased again, anyone know whats the current personnel total in the R.A.A.F.
One thing I do agree on that the Government has not promoted, is a new COAST GUARD for Australia. It would tie up all the lose ends of Ausar,respond to the 5000 annual sightings by Coaswatch,and alleviate the share the pressure with our Navy.We have got I think the largest chunk of Ocean in the world to respond to for a single sovereign nation.
You may remember when the National Safet Council Victoria branch was bolstered by that Freidrickson fellow way back.Well I know he did the dirty but, had a good idea I think.