PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FO's paying to fly?
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2005, 01:39
scameron77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As usual, despite the best efforts of the post originator, Scroggs and a few others this is yet another post on thst slidy slope that is name calling and misinformation.

Everyone on here has to take some time to read the posts objectively and take from them what they will. Don't spit the dummy out the pram if someone says something that you disagree with, just dry your eyes and move on. Also if you correct people on spelling or the fact that airline A has 737-300's opposed to 737-400's I'd take a long look in the mirror.

Now rant over, here is my two cents worth (I am capitalising certain words to ensure there is no confusion in what I'm trying to say):

I'm NOT advocating paying for a type rating, I'm SUGGESTING that its something that newly qualified pilots should research and give ample thought to. I pointed this out in a tread I started with a link on page 2 of this one. I would also add the job front APPEARS to be IMPROVING day by day for the better, so in 12 months someone looking back may think of this as obsolete.

When I look objectively from a distance and with my 'business hat' on I can see SOME sense in maybe shelling out for a type rating.

Its basically how importantly do you rate yourself? This was hit on the head for me when you think in terms like this:

Christmas shopping in any major UK city, pain in the arse parking, you see a shiny NCP offering parking at 3 quid an hour, 'bollocks to that, its a Sunday' you tell yourself 'I'll find a meter' so you drive round for 10 more minutes looking, finally find one and park, yes its free, its a 15 minute walk to the NCP which is beside the Shops (therefore 40 minutes total) and you burned fuel pissing about looking for it. So saving 6 quid cost you more in terms of your time, hassle and can never be accused of being efficient or environmently friendly. In real terms the average UK salary is 25k a year (= 13 quid an hour) in real terms you are about 2.50 down.

Does everyone hate NCP's, bloody right, but when you equate how valuable your time is it sometimes make sense. Now think in terms of career progression and logging those all important 'quality hours'.

If you equate the cost (one organisation in the US does them from $8,500 to $11,500) against potential salary in a 100+ passenger jet and the fact that from when you are hired you are logging those all important 'quality hours' and compared against other alternatives open to less than 700TT more than 250TT then I think it should be given ample thought.