PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - pax anounce
Thread: pax anounce
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2005, 17:06
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Erik, keep it simple and respectful- a short well delivered PA is far better than a long rambling one where the pilot does not know what to say next. When I hear them delivered like that, with the pilot going 'er' and thinking what to say next, I have an irresistable urge to stomp up to the flight deck and bang his head and tell him 'PREPARE NEXT TIME!' It can become an insult to thse forced to listen. Always make notes to read from- have your watch ready with the correct time to set. Tell them the weather when they want to know it. If you are delayed, don't apologise constantly- apologise ONCE and then not mention it again- very few people actually know when they are due to arrive anyway. Anything you apologise for 'must be your fault', so don't apologise if it is not your or the airline's fault- just explain what is causing the problem. Remember, avoid 'jargon' - words like ETA, etc, but also don't use expressions like STORMS, and don't say things like 'I'm afraid we will be late.....'- all some people will hear is the pilot being 'afraid' about something! They will freak! Keep it short and friendly and develop your own style. As you get better, add a LITTLE more, so always ask yourself, 'what would I want to know if I was back there in the cabin?' Don't drone on in a monotone, modulate your voice and know exactly what you are going to say before you press the button. That is all you need- you really don't need anything written anywhere else or off the net. Just try it, and good luck!