PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Boulmer closure to be reviewed
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2005, 20:53
Inspector Dreyfuss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Collocation with ISTAR would have been a very good idea - and I don't mean on the other side of Lincoln. Unfortunately there was not enough room, I gather. Failing that, siting on an MOB would have been a step forward too - although I share Wyler's views to an extent regarding my emotional attachment to Northumberland. Also, I believe that the RAF will be the long term loser if we abandon our footprint in the NE of England. Losing Leeming as well would have left a big black holebetween Linton and Leuchars. The Services are losing their bonds with the community and grouping (just about) everyone in Lincs & Scotland would not help matters one jot.
It was a very silly idea to put a brand spanking new state of the art airC2 ops facility on a site with no viable infrastructure.
Net result: no decent accommodation at Scampton, 1ACC on a knackered site that was neglected by the Army and also planning blight at Boulmer. For example, because of the planned closure of the latter, the project SLAM was cancelled and the troops are in temporary accommodation. We have already lost some good people at the cpl and SNCO level who voted with their feet and I hope we do not lose any more of our talent because of this.