PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exit levels?
Thread: Exit levels?
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2005, 12:51
Eye off the ball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"If you're an aircrew flt lt aged less than about 32 then taking promotion may not be a major issue as you'll probably get further promotion to wg cdr in the future."

LFFC, just to complicate your theory, I'm a fair bit less than 32 and still turned down promotion. The package just isn't appealing enough for reasons well documented in this thread and others. I PVR'd and am off to the airlines - no surprises there!

Younger Flt Lt s seem to be packing it in more than they have in the past; I think this is largely due to the realisation that if you're thinking of leaving before 38/Immediate pension point then you've got a pension pot to build up to compensate. Rough figures: Post aged 33 - Worth staying till 38. Pre-aged 33 - You can make up your pension in civvy st with AVCs, earlier command etc.

The long and short of it? If you're not staying for the Immediate pension, the best time to go was yesterday!! I know so many pilots that are hacked off but they cannot entertain the idea of leaving when they've only got a couple of years until their 38 point.
Once they reach that point however they will go unless the airlines are having a shocker at that stage.

All so sad, I was as keen as mustard 2 years ago; how did I get disillusioned so quickly? Happy with my lot now mind you!!