PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2005, 01:57
Mr Toad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S92 Icing Clearance

NICK
------

Thanks for that reassurance. As you say, I was confused about the Icing Certification since I have never seen such a blanket clearance before. Now I know that the 92 will not ice up and I know that my former colleagues in the North Sea and elsewhere may now boldly go etc. However I suspect that helideck crews will still take cover when they land...
However getting a clearance to visit grandma could be more problematic even though it's an ice-free zone.
Nick in truth even planks don't like to stay below 10,000 feet where the ice is usually heaviest; they plough up and down through it. Simple unpressurised piston engine aircraft are capable of accreting large quantities of ice at their normal operating altitudes and even modern turboprops (ATR's etc) are not immune.

AESIR
-------

Yes I agree about the Russians; they are very experienced and they have had most of the kit for years. Both Mi-17 and Mi-26 are formidably capable but their crews also told me that ice does accrete and you MUST have a way out if you get too heavy.

Of course the proof lies with the guys who will do this thing every day; so would some of them care to give some observations? Also are there any Russians on this thread? Your experiences of icing would be welcome.