PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Boulmer closure to be reviewed
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2005, 21:17
BigginAgain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wyler

Surely this is not news? The review of the plan to install the A6 Hub at Scampton will presumably look at 2 options - TCW & ERAS will go either to Leeming or Scampton as per the original plan. A review of the position of Boulmer falls naturally out of this. I am suspicious of Beith's motives in releasing this news - is he just trying to show the local populace what an effective MP he is? Nothing he has done will make any difference to the eventual outcome.

The long-term aspirations of our lords and masters (one CRC at Scampton with another at a FJ MOB beginning with C nearby) do not stand up if the CRC at Scampton has a life of 5-7 (or 15???) years until NATO ACCS comes in (and anyone wanting to look at a gigantic waste of money should compare that with UCCS!). That being the case, the CRC at Boulmer will need to continue for the foreseeable future, but it's a pretty bl00dy miserable and cramped setup now that the Group Staff 'rustication' is forcing many more people underground and putting the squeeze on the SFC.

I am told by those that have visited the new CRC at Scampton that it is pretty impressive considering it's a converted Airmen's Mess - hard to believe that it may be closed inside 10 years, but it may be unsustainable without the rest of the base around it? And what will happen to 1 ACC? Back up the A1 to Boulmer?

I also wonder whether the final decision will be heavily influenced by whether HQ Land (?) has a requirement for Leeming - this would presumably put paid to plans for TCW/ERAS to locate there for anything other than an interim period.

I am expecting the final announcement any time in the next 12 to 18 months! Apparently ERAS are planning to move to RAF Woodvale until the decision is made.

BA