PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's Happening - Aussie Troops to fight Terrorism
Old 20th Oct 2001, 15:54
criticalmass

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

Daytrader,

The publicity-seeking Senator Sport-Destroyer is a minor abberration in the seamless robe of Australian politics, and hopefully one which will be removed at the forthcoming general election. She has nothing to contribute to this issue. As far as I have seen she has little of substance to contribute to most issues. Senator Bob Brown almost equals her for insignificance, but we will leave the worthy "Green" senator (in every sense of the word) for another time.

On a more general note:-

There is no debate required. Although I despise John Howard with a passion, he has taken a decision and most Australians (myself included) support him in it.

If it helps you to understand my position on this matter, like several others who have posted in this thread I too registered for National Service under the 1968 act, and still have both my "Notice of Registration" and my "Notice of Indefinite Deferment" card...souvenirs of the Vietnam war era.

They are a constant reminder that freedom has a cost, and lies are the currency with which truth is bought and sold. I value every freedom living in Australia gives me and I place my full support in those who are sent to defend it.

Whether you like it or not, every human being on the face of this planet is now under direct threat by terrorism. We either defend ourselves...and others of like mind...or we submit to terror. I see it as a matter of where you wish to make your stand...far better to do it elsewhere than your own country because by then it may be too late!

Those who seek to impose their will on others through perverted interpretations of religiously-inspired texts seek only power for themselves. This is totalitarianism and few civilised nations will accept it. Australia certainly will not, nor will the United Kingdom, nor the United States.

For our servicemen and women in the forthcoming conflict I wish them good fortune, good hunting, and the confidence to carry out their assigned tasks secure in the knowledge that the overwhelming majority of Australians support them. (Those who do not may indeed tread perilously close to the realms of treason.)

Come home safely and with glory! You carry with you the proud tradition of the ANZACS. We know you will not let us down. We are damned proud of you! Anyone who isn't does not deserve to live in this country...and is welcome to leave it on the first available flight.