PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Follow the Greens" - Is that difficult ?
Old 12th Dec 2005, 23:44
Lord Toofouright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for the input you've given so far, and now finally it's beginning to elicit comments that I find pertinent. May main reason for asking the question in the first place, was to try and get some reasoning behind why a crew take un-lit routes to and from aprons, when there is a brightly lit one begging to be used and is also the one they were asked to use in the first place. The next step is to ask why Red-stop bars are sometimes ignored which in turn can lead to runway incursions, (THE hot-topic of the moment within ATC and quite rightly to), and taxiway conflictions.

MOST crew do question a red stop bar that is illuminated BEFORE they cross it, but there are some that just drive straight through one without any question, hesitation or deviation! Yes, they may have been told just a few seconds before to "Line-up and wait " on a runway and the controller has failed to drop the red, but why cross-it without querying it?
I'm not getting at anyone in particular here, I'm just curious of the thought processes involved in ignoring a RED? ( Tantamount to running a red at a set of Traffic lights on the highways IMHO).

I do pity aircrew that have to fathom differing standards of lighting in all regions of the globe and that they are not standard, BUT when you do have one of the better systems to use, why is it sometimes ignored.

Whether it's a Green, Red or Rainbow coloured lights, they are there for a purpose, so why not use them as they are intended ?

Wishing everyone the very best of the Seasons Greetings in the run-up to next Summer !!

Lord 24R.