PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - had to post this...
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2005, 14:59
masalama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flying 4 an indian carrier (private) and do understand some of the problems faced by crew when dealing with Indian/pakistani passengers.....

We have in India a new generation of passengers who're being pampered, courted and offered amazing deals and inflight services by the increasingly competitive and cutthroat aviation market....imagine a 40 minute flight on our airline where an economy passenger gets a cold towel, welcome drink, hot meal with choice of beverage(non-alcoholic) , hot towel , icecream...choice of newspaper/magazines .....the list goes on...... R we spoiling them???? U bet ur shiny 330 we are....

Some of the passengers( I don't want to generalize) have become rude, insensitive and uncourteous ....while the majority are well behaved too.....

But guess what, where do most airlines expect to make money the next 10-40 years?,who's going to fill the seats on that brand new 380? , what sectors had the highest load factor/profitability?...it's not rocket science....with the economy doing so well in India and a booming cash rich middle class numbering around 400 million...that's right approximately 15 times the population of Australia.. ready to explore the world and keep discovering.....they're gonna be falling over themselves to attract the pan chewing , aisle crapping, lewd looks giving,I want chicken saying, no, demanding Indian traveller....

So what's the solution.....I believe airlines can do their bit ...for eg.
hiring more Indian/pakistani crew to cater to those flights , maybe hire ex-crew from indian/pakistani carriers who have immense experience dealing with this specific traveller.....

specific training 4 the non subcontinent crew on how 2 deal with "the" passenger , cultural , religious issues and what 2 expect....

I believe that over time things will improve , the Indian passenger will be more world-wise and understand how to communicate effectively with crew and express him/herself in a civilized manner.....

in the meantime our carriers r slowly trying to grab these passengers away from your carriers but it's going to be tough....we need to improve on many fronts to effectively compete with the likes of Emirates, BA and the whole world....again , call me optimistic but I think we're getting there ...

in the meantime I think the spot between 10 F and 11 F looks like a great place to take a crap for me ....
take care all and masalama....