PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FO's paying to fly?
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2005, 12:53
BAP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Hi M80.

Thanks for your point of you.

I do see your point, yet I don’t agree with it.
Yes you are right, I made the decision to buy a rating - because that was the only way I could see myself reaching my goal – To fly for a living.

Am I to blame or the low timers?? Yes we could stop paying, and then everything would be just fine again.
I would have been the first one to say, ”okay, we don’t buy our own ratings” But I would only have done that if there was a guarantee that no one did buy it, otherwise I would just have been sitting back now with no hope of being employed…
So that’s why, I say that I am just following the rules. And I can’t change them; because it is impossible to say that low timers should stop paying for there own rating. It would only work if everybody stopped, which is naïve to believe, and maybe I am the “Someone”, but that is because an airline would hire me…

Okay you are right, if everybody said the same as I do now, it would never be possible to get low timers to stop paying. So in that context, I am guilty, but that’s simply because I weigh my career higher than how the business is developing. Selfish - Yes very. But to be honest, I don’t believe that you or anybody else would be any different if you had just won a million in the lottery.
Not that I have won anything, unfortunately

Okay of course some low timers, did make the bed for us, but that’s many years ago now, and I have no part in that. I just have to sleep in it. Okay I am not exactly helping, but I still believe that the only ones who can stop this are the experienced pilots, because they are the ones who have the power through the pilots union.

Unfortunately as you also said; it is properly irreversible now, and even though the experienced pilots would like to stop this, it might be too late now.

What I believe made me to post my opinion in first place, was that a lot of pilots blame pilots like me, for paying my way forward in the business, but maybe they should look around and see that there are not a lot of options left. The truth is, that if I have had the option of flying as an instructor, GA pilot etc. I would have done it. And I am still trying to find these jobs, even though I am rated on a B737.

But right now I know A LOT of ex-instructors who has decided to pay there way forward in the business, even though they had many hours on both SEP and MEP. So to everybody who just believe that the old career path still exists, please look again.

But anyway, I wish you all the best and I hope that both of us, and anybody else who is waiting for the phone call, will soon find our self smiling above the clouds
/BAP