PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDI Radar
Thread: EDI Radar
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2005, 21:58
Headset starter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Blimey

Hey all,

Well this has turned out to be rather unsavoury. Why should there be this competition between you guys on Area and on Approach?

And so you were given a direct routeing, from I expect a considerable distance, by an area controller who would have no idea of the other aircraft that were inbound to Edinburgh at the time. As they got closer, a discussion took place between controllers and you were given a turn to fit into the traffic pattern....You dont like it...then fly airways all the way. I think you will find it considerably longer!

This just goes back to my previous question, that surely Area Controllors who provide a direct to 8/10 mile final have co-ordinated this with Radar? When arriving from SURAT-GOMOT, etc its obviously a bonus to be given the direct routing, but it's no good if it's not been agreed all the way.

I would quite happily take an airway route to a holding fix, fly one pattern, be picked off and given a short approach track, rather than be flown all over the sky and slowed down. It makes our job easier, in planning a constant descent profile, and also provides great spacial awareness as to where the other aircraft are and how we all fit into the picture.

Is it true that it's the location of the TWEED hold, ie not directly at the end of the STAR, that discourages controllers from using it?

Callyoushortly - Are you Area or Approach? I would love to come and say hello, who would one contact to make the arrangements?

Cheers,

HS