PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FO's paying to fly?
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2005, 21:22
YYZ_Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe the things I read on here sometimes!
If this continues I might go buy a simulator and make a fortune doing type ratings!!

I will give you all my opinion since I am not from the UK but fly here. I started in Canada and that is where I gained all my commercial experience....now over there most people don't seem to jump to conclusions of what they want to fly until they have over 1500+ hours. Most people joining the aviation industry here in the UK seem that soon as they are done and have accumulated there 250 hours are now ready to fly the jets! Where did this ever come from??!?!?! 250 hours??
You shouldn't be allowed to fly 25NM from an airport with that time! You need to instruct! INSTRUCT INSTRUCT INSTRUCT!!! get 1000TT, and then maybe you could be able to fly a charter or cargo Piston twin....that s how to gain hours.

The CAA need to become involved as well...I think there is a serious problem over here and the airlines are all taking advantage of this situation. I have heard that they had a scheme years ago where a pilot required 700TT to have his CPL issued?!?
If that is the case, why did they change that?

Most operators in America or Canada require 500Multi PIC before you can fly as captain on a multi engine piston aircraft...and that sounds about right to have that kind of experience to be allowed to fly an aircraft of that sort.

I am sorry to say this, but people in the UK that I have met need to realize that Instructing is the way to build hours, not paying for a type rating! and i know a lot of people with type ratings and 100 line training that don't even get a response from their CV's.

250TT > Instruct 1000TT> Charter 1500TT> Regional 3000TT> Airlines

don't try jumping too far before you can walk!

don't pay for type ratings, its not your job to pay for it!

Good luck