PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police Aviation...............safety problem or not ?
Old 11th Dec 2005, 18:41
Letsby Avenue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Support is becoming an evermore demanding environment as more complex equipment is being developed and fitted.

I was always of the view (and argued the point with some vigour) that police observers were pax, no more no less, and the pilot was solely responsible for all aspects of the flight - any additional information offered ie; nav, airspace, hazards etc, I could take, or leave, and make my own informed decision as to what we were going to do, frankly the quality of the police observer was of little interest to me.

However nowadays, having mellowed somewhat, my opinion is that the 'crew' concept is the only way to go - obviously the pilot is still ultimately responsible for the operation of the aircraft but now everyone gets (and expects to get) an input.

It would be difficult to imagine a difficult vehicle pursuit in a built up area next to a busy major airport in a cross force area with the other force helicopter in close proximity, ending up resolving itself successfully without all members of the crew working extremely well together. So in answer to Waldo's initial question it is essential that you recruit the right kind of person who has a natural ability to operate in that complex environment. As Crab so rightly said, if you accept mediocrity just to keep sweet with the HR PC parasites then all you are ultimately doing is devaluing your operational effectiveness (you will also double your unit trainers workload for evermore)

Just to take my theme one stage further. The CAA now requires a fully trained and competent 'crew' member to sit in the LHS whilst the pilot flies on NVIS. If the pilot is required to undertake an Ad-Hoc landing in the sticks for whatever reason that LHS crewman has a definite role to play in the safe operation of the aircraft and believe me if they fail in their duties ie; 'incompetent' I will personally ensure that they do not fly in that position again until the unit NVIS trainers (who, incidentally, are pilots) have been all over them like a rash! and if they're still not up to it then we will have to face up to the fact that some observers will be out of a flying job!

Last edited by Letsby Avenue; 12th Dec 2005 at 10:14.