PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDI Radar
Thread: EDI Radar
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2005, 10:19
PH-UKU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.. inbounds via St Abbs ... ?

Scottish always seem to route you to a 10 mile final, sometimes with disregard for the current traffic situation. Mistifies me how controllers situated in the same room can't seem to communicate with each other (Tay and Talla).
Bear in mind that Talla CAN'T see 100 miles east of the TMA, but Tay CAN see the impending stream from the south, so Tay needs to exercise a bit of judgement and look to see if the traffic 'fits'. Doesn't take rocket science to plot distance to the 10 mile point - if in doubt .. route via TLA VOR.... that gives Edinburgh and TMA the flexible option.

Now this probably varies a bit from watch to watch, but from my experience ... what I would do (as a Tay controller) is co-ordinate with Talla - if they are busy, then clearance into the TMA is 90% likely to be toward TLA VOR (where you're going to get a 90-150 degree turn anyway!).

However, there are a few occasions when there is a lull in the traffic and Talla and Tay decide to offer a direct routing to 10 mile file - SO LONG AS EDINBURGH AGREE - I wouldn't have thought anyone (from Tay) would point aircraft direct without Edinburgh's agreement ... although that agreement is no doubt based on the hope that Scottish won't present a total up.

Early handover at St Abbs head is then preferred so that Edinburgh can start the fine tuning.

Other considerations ... military fighter ops south of Leuchars ... aaaaargh - this can throw the whole plan out and will necessitate a reroute in upper air (either via NEW or PTH-STIRA)to avoid descending through busy busy bandit country Class G airspace on a RIS .. but that's not really the issue.

If we are giving a direct routing it is only because we are trying to be helpful.

As to 'Hootin and a Roarins' comment ..

I believe Scottish have a lack of appreciation of aircraft performance and company procedures
You could be simplistic and say that all you really need is

1 - an idea of what climbs fast and what doesn't
2 - don't reduce speed and expect a fast rate of descent

Anything beyond that is finesse and professional interest.

However .. how many ATCOs fly ? how many get jumpseat rides/famflights ?

IMHO famflights should be compulsory.

Do you really expect us to know/anticipate individual company procedures ??

Sorry but it's hard enough remembering the ing callsign changes without wondering which of the 100 regular airlines would prefer 250 or 350 kts ......

Anyway .... I agree with H+R, that's why we publish STARs ...... STANDARD arrival routes ... but if the situation allows ... there's always room for improvement.

PS say hi to Ron and GB