PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDI Radar
Thread: EDI Radar
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2005, 18:22
Hootin an a roarin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Headset starter

I'm afraid in a lot of cases the order is selected by Scottish and not the Approach Professionals. We are forever having aircraft handed over which have been told to keep their speed up ( over 300kts and more) and in some cases on 06 very high and struggling for the mileage to descend. It isn't as much of a problem on 24 however a strong southerly wind causes the same problems on approach to this runway. Incidentally we do have SLP's on all STAR's but as they are rarely adhered to by Scottish they fall by the way side.

I believe Scottish have a lack of appreciation of aircraft performance and company procedures, as some aircraft which have been made number one for approach hit FL100 and slam on the anchors and the guy who is number two is happy to keep his speed up. Dash 8D's and especially the D328's seem to be penalised by Scottish and always made number 2/3/etc whereas they can keep a good speed, 250kts all the way and a fairly rapid speed down the ILS as well. All traffic should be vectored to the hold or follow the STAR and then we at the airport can decide who comes straight off or needs to hold (part of our standing agreement but hardly ever practised by Scottish). As for yourself sneaking in from St Abbs you should be routeing to the hold automatically ( Standing agreement again )but Scottish always seem to route you to a 10 mile final, sometimes with disregard for the current traffic situation. Mistifies me how controllers situated in the same room can't seem to communicate with each other (Tay and Talla).

As previously suggested come and have a visit, you'd be most welcome (just bring the biscuits). We are trying to solve many problems, primarily arrival procedures with Scottish at the moment but this public forum is not the place to discuss our many gripes with the ATCO 2's.