PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WestJet
Thread: WestJet
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2005, 02:20
Slapshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.K. I'll bite...

"It is a sweat shop. WestJet, or rather Canada. There is really only one carrier in Canada that is really worth working for, and I would be quite amazed if all the W. Jetters didn’t' have their CV in the pile. Much better pay, greater lifestyle. The lifestyle we have all worked so many years after."

Sweat shop... How do you figure? I've got a minimum of 12 days off a month. In the last 3 I have had an average of 15 days off. I'll work 60 - 70 hours of sticktime a month. We fly one of the most technologically advanced aircraft in the air today. We use the FMS to it's fullest with RNP and "own navigation" for approaches. We are pioneer's in the field of RNP. We fly all over Canada, into the U.S. and Hawaii, not to mention most places in the Caribbean and Mexico. Hardly a Sweatshop...

Lifestyle. In addition to the days off my requests are more often than not given to me when I build a schedule for the next month. No one, and I mean NOT ONE of our pilots is sitting around on reserve waiting for the phone to ring... How's that for lifestyle?

Vacation. I've got 6 weeks to do with as I wish. We run a "point" system so all pilots have an equal shot at getting Easter and Christmas off. None of the, "You'll be senior one day." B.S. regarding vacation bidding...

"As a lover of Canada, I would love to be there, but I have chosen to take a tour of the world to explore, make some decent dough, and escape the Canadian tax system (is it not a killer?!!?!)"
While I know nothing about your job or your lifestyle - something that doesn't deter you from slagging my "lack thereof" - I would hazard a guess that things are not as rosy as you would lead us to believe... Having worked overseas I have experienced the lack of work rules to protect "lifestyle" and the lack of rapour between Pilot's and Management that creates friction and animosity in the workplace...

"For those of you at WJ (or other low-cost/start-up) now, get your CV together and get it to A/C ASAP or overseas if you know what is good for you. The days of making good dough at WJ are over. While there are a few rich folks riding around in the 73, those days are over if you have not figured that out. WJ stocks are not worth it. And profit sharing? How were your last few cheques... especially after Jetsgo hit the ditch!!"
I have worked oversea's and have come to realize that the grass is not always greener... That "Big Paycheque" that I chased was not nearly as big as it had looked on paper before I left Canada. Do not underestimate the cost's involved in working oversea's. It was very expensive...

As for the Profit Sharing cheques... I took home an extra paycheque thank you very much. Free money and much appreciated. As for stock not worth it... Your ignorance is showing. We buy at 1/2 price. The company matches our contribution. We are virtually doubling up on shares right now with the "downturn" in the market of last summer... Now with the low oil prices and stabilized market the rebound is increasing the worth of those shares we bought "at a discount" last summer...

I spent a number of years flying oversea's for a "respected" carrier... It's not all it's cracked up to be. It was an expensive, trying adventure. It was a struggle adapting to an Airline that saw a Pilot as piece of meat to do with as they wish. No work rules, no penalties for "misusing" an asset. Try misusing their equipment however and you'd hear about it...

A schedule that was handed to you with no regard whatsoever for my requests. A schedule that changed with a phone call. Looking forward to some overtime to pay for a little luxury? Sorry, you are now on Stand-By, no overtime... Roster "balancing" was something I was very acquainted with by the end of my tenure...

I'll stay where I am thank you very much. With 12 Boeing's coming in 2006, and more announced for 2007 and 2008, command's will be coming quickly again as they had before the last "downturn".

I encourage anyone with the right attitude to come here and join the team.