PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDI Radar
Thread: EDI Radar
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2005, 01:52
Wheelybin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When The figures come out at the end of the year. It will be seen that Edinburgh is now the 5th busiest airport within Britain ( in terms of aircraft movements). It overtook Glasgow some years ago and has now overtaken Birmingham. Yet still there is an attitude that this is a sleepy provincial hollow.
At airports that have less than half the traffic, aircraft are automatically cleared to the hold and consider themselves lucky that they are given more direct approaches. At Edinburgh my colleauges will strive to give the most expeditious approach to all aircraft and only resort to holding when traffic conditions insist that it is the best course of action.
I believe I am familiar with the type of flight that the poster is referring to (124-5 gave it away) And so you were given a direct routeing, from I expect a considerable distance, by an area controller who would have no idea of the other aircraft that were inbound to Edinburgh at the time. As they got closer, a discussion took place between controllers and you were given a turn to fit into the traffic pattern....You dont like it...then fly airways all the way. I think you will find it considerably longer!
Controllers are Area or Approach trained and having worked in both I can tell you the two are chalk and cheese.
Aircraft performances change considerably with levels and I am sympathetic to the poster in a turboprop who can indeed give high speed to 4 miles before pulling it all out and plonking it on the runway, who has been slowed down prematurely cos a jet is alongside ( 240knots below fl100 due to airframe!)
What we do, constantly ,is try to provide the most efficient service to all flights. If that means giving you a direct. Believe me youll get it. The less time you are on my frequency the better! But please dont moan when for once you end up at the back of the queue!
Ps..made me chuckle...Thought it was just area controllers who didnt know about turboprop performance at lower levels.....Nice to know its jet pilots too!!!