PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "heroes" of Ansett 1989-2002.
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2002, 14:01
ANFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

With all due respect, Oz Gr.3, the pilots that have lost their jobs at AN KD ect. are in this situation thru no fault of their own. These people are not taking GA jobs whilst saying to GA pilots that they shouldn't take airline jobs. These people are now legitimate GA pilots. On a personal note, I am not seeking to take a job in GA simply because it doesn't pay enough. Mrs ANFO and I have a reasonbly modest lifestyle but with 3 kids, 2 cars, a boat and a 1/2 share in an aeroplane, the salary of a GA pilot is unsustainable. I work for myself now and the flying that I do is mainly on business, as I have contracts in Bris. and Syd. It is a regretable fact of life that these ex-airline pilots will displace many in GA simply because of their level of experience. Bear in mind that these people no longer have an airline job to go to unless they are recruited into Qantas or Virgin and many are missing out here for a variety of reasons. Some are going to Japan or the Middle East and many are leaving the industry altogether. This later factor will result in a tragic loss of industrial memory. I do hope that you dont feel that the ex-airline people should just fade away to satisfy your career ambitions, because your post above reads just like that.