PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "heroes" of Ansett 1989-2002.
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2002, 05:23
PGH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My thoughts turned to moral decision making.

Some possible choices are:

1. Self-centred - I choose what I like, so long as I'm don't harm anyone and I'm prepared for all the legal and community/family consequences. Is this the "selfish" pilot who may, in some quarters be called a scab?

2. The greater good - I will choose the action(s) which will provide the greatest good for the majority of the (pilot) community. Is this the pilot who'll not accept lesser conditions on the basis that appropriate rewards for all will be preserved?

3. The weakest in our society need protection - All of us in this situation must band together and find an equitable outcome that treats us all from a point of equal barganing strength. Is this the pilot prepared to accept a lessor outcome than his/her status would otherwise have delivered?

Can there ever be a right or wrong action? Isn't it true that individuals will, on the basis of their moral development choose one course or other, inspite of how they think other will judge them? Is it possible to accept that in any society there will be difference of opinion, passion, perspective and points of view.