PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blue skies for Qantas in new workplace laws
Old 5th Dec 2005, 22:45
Vee Won Kutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my first ever post on PPruNe. I occasionally browse through the forums, but have never felt the desire to make a post until now.

I have always voted Liberal, or at least for someone who would pass a preference on to them. However I will not be voting for them at the next election (and that’s something I thought I would never say).

Coitus is obviously an educated person. I’m a pilot and I like to think that I do my job professionally. What do you do Coitus? I’m guessing by your flowery posts that when you weren’t in an English class you spent most of your youth at ‘Young Liberals’ gatherings and read Shakespeare whilst on the toilet (sorry - bathroom commode). I unfortunately spent far too much time dreaming about being a pilot and flying – so please forgive me Coitus for all my grammatical errors and spellin’ mistakes.

Look I’m sorry Coitus if this feels like a personal attack. However this new legislation feels like a personal attack on me. And besides you do sound oh so pious.

The Liberals are by far the better managers of the economy, few would disagree, but they seem to lack compassion. It certainly feels as though Howard is the Governor for the US state of Australia. Yes, the US is a very wealthy nation, but I reckon they (collectively) suck.

I have a good mate who is a Jet F/O over there – working his r!ng off for pocket money – And no he doesn’t get six weeks Annual leave a year, he gets just one for the first two years and from then on he only gets two (no public holidays either).

I have worked in union and non-union workplaces (not always as a pilot). In the past I felt that they had too much power. Every non-union environment that I have worked in, we all worked longer, got pushed around more, paid inappropriately and generally scr*wed. So I have concluded that we need unions, but there needs to be a balance.

I now work for the Qantas BRAND. I have heard people call some unions militant, but these people are militant management. I have never worked for a more mean- spirited and aggressive bunch. If the Qantas BRAND is the spirit of Australia, then God help us as a nation. From my limited experience, about the only time Mr Dixon smiles is when his staff is being scr*wed (especially his P.A. if the rumours are true). I bet he had a face like a split watermelon all weekend after the new IR laws got passed (Like a smelly fart that they are). I will lay it out for you Coitus, you can argue all you wish – If Qantas support it (or even like it) then that’s good enough reason for me not to like it – IT HAS TO BE BAD.

Time to sleep now (while I still can!)