PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Follow the Greens" - Is that difficult ?
Old 5th Dec 2005, 20:24
av8boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I think RG was a little harsh (you’re venting… I know), the reason really is in the response. Pilots are human and humans screw up. I’ve just passed the 23rd anniversary of my starting-out as a controller—I mention that only to establish the fact that I’ve seen a few things go wrong in my time. Here’s what I keep in mind when looking at the sort of situation you’ve described:

1. As a general rule, pilots aren’t stupid. My very best friends in the world are a couple of pilots I’ve known for more than 20 years. Granted, in the social skills department these chaps often leave something to be desired (my friends, that is… I can’t speak for all pilots… ), but in my experience, they and others of their ilk tend to be among the sharpest tools in the shed.
2. Pilots have an aversion to physically harming themselves while in control of an airframe (harming their livers during days-off is another matter).
3. Pilots have an aversion to harming the airframe they control.
4. Pilots have an aversion to getting their airframe stuck in the mud next to a taxiway or runway.
5. Pilots have an aversion to a loss of their license and/or employment and try very hard to avoid getting into trouble.
6. Pilots strive to make interaction with ATC as smooth as possible. It helps them manage their workload and keeps them out of trouble. Oh, and many of them are simply good people.
7. Experienced pilots understand the big picture in aviation far better than most controllers (myself especially—that’s one of the reasons I lurk on this site… to continue to learn).

Sure, there are exceptions to this characterization, but it’s not likely that you’d have all of the moronic jerk pilots showing up at your airport doing exactly the same idiotic thing. So it must be something else, right?

Perhaps it’s time you reach out to the people who ARE having trouble following the little green lights to find out what’s going on. Apparently it IS very difficult to follow them. If you continue to just be irritated by the situation it’s not going to get any better. You’ll just close your eyes and never find the real problem and its solution.

Oh for the days of fam flights… Many years ago, having worked at a major US west-coast airport for a while, I found myself seated on the flight deck of a DC10 returning to my home airport at night. When we were taxiing to the gate the captain asked me about something or other having to do with the field layout. I was at a loss… I had no idea where I was. From where I was sitting it was just a featureless sea of blue and white lights. I would not have been able to pick out a specific taxiway had my life depended on it. And I’m REALLY smart!

There’s obviously something else afoot here. Just my two bits worth.

Dave

PS It’s always good to vent in this business. Otherwise the stuff will just chew you up. However, beware the broad brush. What you need is the answer to your question, but you’re alienating the people that hold the answer right off the bat.